A On line casino in Enid, Alright???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you most likely run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have all seen small digital bingo card in the top corner of the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it had been found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied with the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion with the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes make use of the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who utilized to travel outside from the area now stays within the spot.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted opportinity for governments to raise funds. It is seen as an source of money that's easier to obtain since it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, more info December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what can be your opinion? Do you think it would enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to handle?